Tuesday, June 11, 2024

"Life belongs to the living, and he who lives must be 

prepared for changes."

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


Years ago when I was in college, a friend of mine formally introduced me to the music of Stevie Nicks.  I'm sure I'd heard her many times playing on the radio, but I suspect I never really payed much attention to her.  I was more into new wave music and rap.  


Fast forward a few years from then, and I'm a new father, and on one particular occasion I was riding in the car with Grant and I heard "Landslide" on the radio.  In that weird way that only overthinking OCD types like me understand, my mind jumped forward into the future about 20 years, and I'm sitting there looking at my son in the rear view mirror thinking about how "I've been afraid of changin', 'cause I built my life around you."  The changing hadn't even happened yet, but I was absolutely certain of how it would feel.  And here I sit, in 2024, with three grown kids, and would you look at that!!--I was right about how it feel.  I suspect I'm not the only who's at least somewhat scared of change.  


A couple days ago, I was sitting on my bed getting ready for the day, and the thought occurred to me that you cannot possibly be adequately prepared for the changed that come.  I started thinking about all the times I've been caught off-guard by change.  Buckle up!!


Things for which you cannot possibly be prepared for when they happen.


1.  What it feels like the first time a cashier gives you the senior discount, especially if you aren't that old yet.  

2.  How quiet your house is when it's just you there.  

3.  That feeling you get when you realize that your birth year is just as close to 2024 as it is to 1921.  

4.  Having a conversation with your son and in his voice you hear full-on manhood.  

5.  The draw drop that occurs when you see your daughter dressed up in her prom dress.

6.  Seeing you parents deal with health problems you never thought you'd see.

7.  The knowing that one day will be the last day your kid sleeps in your house.

8.  The total unexpectedness with which your kids' high school graduations arrive.

9.  When you think about how much older you are now that your mom was when she went to her 20th high school reunion.  (And you thought she was OLD then!)

10.  When you hear students call 90s rock "classic."

11.  That weird feeling you get nowadays when you are gone somewhere and you just wanna go home, and how welcome that is!

12.  The simple joy that comes from your son being in your house, because he's lived in another state for four years.

13.  That unneeded feeling you get when you see your kids and students do so many things in an accomplished way.  

14.  Waking up and you're like "oh I guess that part of me hurts now."  

15.  Things like "I need reading glasses for the office AND the house" come out of your mouth. 

16.  You actually consider buying a different motorcycle because the one you have is a bit too fast.  Where. The. Actual. Heck. Did. That. Come. From.  

17.  How you can now sit at a coffee shop with your sister and brother in law and feel absolutely NO NEED whatsoever to get up and leave, to go check a box, to accomplish something today.  So not me!


That's enough. 


If you feel attacked, you might be going through some of the same changes.  If you're like me, your first instinct is to go to war with those feelings.  Because we're all 10 feet tall and bulletproof, right?  You might be.  


Richard Rohr says that our lives are in two parts.  In the first part we are building our vessel, as he calls it, and in the second part we are figuring out what is worth putting in that vessel.  We live both these parts in very different ways, and you can't be successful in the second part if you don't finish the first part.  If you haven't read his book Falling Upward, I highly recommend it.  


I find myself squarely in the second part of life, and if Richard Rohr is right, this is where life really and truly is found.  Instead of kicking against the pricks like Paul was doing in Acts, we have to submit to the change around us.  We can either swim upstream against a drowning exhausting current, or we can do with it.  It might even be better to say that we have to gently lean into it.  We have to brush up against the current without trying to completely stop it.  


I think the best way to look at it is like this.  




Look at that guy! He's OLD!!! Not really.  He's still 18.  Only his body is old.  


Live life, folks!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment