Friday, December 17, 2021

 "How old are you, buddy?"  


December 17, 2021.  

This morning I was standing in line in a coffee shop, calmly (yeah, I know that's not like me lol) waiting for my morning caffeine blast.  I had to get grades posted and I also had an appointment to handle some personal business.  The smell of espresso (there's not an "X" in that word, by the way) filled the room as people engaged in the usual morning chatter....

"I saw the pics of your house on Facebook--it looks so good!"

"Are you ready for the Christmas party??

"What can I get started for you this morning?"

The usual, benign stuff that we discuss, sometimes automatically I suspect, yet with all the enthusiasm that people from small, tight-knit communities like Andalusia exemplify as we make small-talk.

In front of me....a student I used to teach years ago.  Behind me....people I did not recognize.  With my former student was her son.  He was a ball of pure energy and bed hair--the absolute best kind of kid!  The mom and I exchanged pleasant conversation and then her son decided to jump in.  "You're tall!! Your head is gonna bump into that light!"  I laughed as I looked up to notice that, yes, my head is almost touching that light bulb right above me.  It's those Ryland genes that make me so tall.  Everyone on that side of my family is quite tall, so it's no wonder.   Back to the kid....

I laughed and reached out to bump fists, which he did with a smile and then he said "I give 'high-fives" too!" So we slapped palms together and I said "how old are you buddy?"  He said "I'm four!"  And those words halted my world for a minute.   

Today would have been my mom and dad's 50th wedding anniversary.  On December 17, 1971, with Jerry Baker and Wayne Hagler--both of whom later influenced my life greatly--standing as groomsmen, my dad married my mom at Central Church of Christ in Andalusia.  Their marriage was short-lived as my dad would eventually pass away in February, 1977.  I was four....just like the kid in the coffee shop. 

Sometimes, when I think back on that time, and I think about what I must have been like when I was four, I never see myself as being as young as the four year old standing before me this morning.  I wonder if I engaged with complete strangers the way this kid did.  He told me all about Santa Claus and his dad's business and how his dad was coming home today.  He was so happy about that! And that made me smile.  

There is innocence in the heart of child.  The only thing on this kid's mind this morning was the doughnut he was about to eat!  We even discussed how the bagel I was getting was similar to a doughnut except a doughnut has a larger hole.  The kid was smart, y'all!  And he was happy!  The way a child should be happy! Of all the ways to start off a day, talking to a happy four-year-old while waiting for coffee is probably the best way.  

The holidays are bustling and over-commercialized and full of stress.  And sometimes, they remind us of things we'd rather not remember.  But in the grand scheme of things, there are four-year-olds in striped pajamas in coffee shops discussing the topology of doughnuts and bagels while being concerned that tall guys are gonna bump their heads on lightbulbs.  And with things like that in the world, it can't be too bad a world to inhabit.

For those of you raising small children, let me offer you this bit of advice:  slow down.  Live in each moment and don't ever get caught up in the "God, I can't wait for...." mentality.  Enjoy the bottles, and the diapers, and the terrible twos, and the first day of kindergarten, and, and, and.....

The writer of 2 Timothy said we shouldn't look down on the youth just because they are young. The young can teach us much, and, this morning, this veteran teacher became the student, while the four year old I was conversing with taught me all about joy and innocence.  

Merry Christmas, everyone!  I hope you have the best Christmas ever.  

1 comment: